Sunday, March 15, 2009

A typical weekend with a few extras thrown in...

This was my weekend with the kiddos. It began Friday evening when I met their dad at the barn to make the switcheroo. It should have been a clue when he told me the sitter said Edison had a really bad day. He went to the "corner" several times during the day for hitting and pushing. She said she finally just let the other kids start hitting and pushing him back because she didn't want him to stay in the corner all day. We drove straight to Danville to try to find Emily something to wear to a wedding on Saturday. There are not a lot of options in Danville, especially since Goody's has filed bankruptcy and is no longer there. I also have a very picky 15 years old who thinks she can only wear clothes from certain places and Wal-Mart or K-Mart is not on the list...

We started at Peebles - Emily found nothing but Kensley was begging me to try on 3 different dresses that she found. They were all really cute but I bought for Kensley a few weeks ago so it was not her "turn". We walked down the strip mall to Shoe Sensation. Emily had black dress pants and knew she wanted to find something to wear with them. She picked out some really cute black ballerina flats. Again, Kensley was showing me all kinds of shoes that she wanted, but I had to say "no". Edison also found a pair of light up Skechers. They were really cute. The tongue had a red, white and blue "light bar" that lit up when you walked and the front of the shoes had two "headlights" making it look like a police car. Again, as cute as they were, I had to say "no", besides, Paul had just bought him a new pair of tennis shoes last week. I do think I am going to keep my eye on them to go on clearance and buy a size or two larger. He can grow into them.

Edison threw an absolute tantrum while we were in Shoe Sensation! He screamed at the very top of his lungs, laid down in the floor, kicked his feet, rolled on his belly, kicked some more, had noodle legs when I tried to stand him up and then tried to bite me. The report from the sitter should have been a clue, but I was clueless!

Next, we decided to stop in at CiCi's to grab some pizza. None of us really like CiCi's but it is quick and fairly inexpensive and Edison eats for free! I was expecting Edison to have a melt down, but he did pretty good. He ate 2 whole slices of pepperoni pizza, including the crust! He also ate a few bites of cheesy bread and like Kensley and I, he loves the cinnamon rolls. Emily taught him to sprinkle parmesan cheese on his plate and eat it with his finger - that kept him busy but I'm afraid it is something new he will not forget!

We left CiCi's and continued walking around to JCPenney's. I thought for sure Emily could find something there - but she didn't. Her idea of looking is walking around the outside aisle and expecting it to jump out at her! I kept picking out things and saying, "what about this?" "how about this?". She would just look at me like I had green antennae coming out of my head and say, "no" in that way only a teen can say "no" to their parent. We walked back to the car and I asked Emily what she planned to wear to the wedding. She didn't know.

Next, we drove to Cato's. By this time, Edison was sitting in the car, screaming, so I told her just to walk in and see if she saw anything she liked and if she did, to come and get me and I would pay for it. Off she and Kensley went. I watched them walk around the outside aisle, never stopping to look at anything specific and walk right back out the door. "Nope" she didn't see a thing. I asked, "Emily, do you have something specific in mind?" "Yes," she replied. "I just want a solid color t-shirt." "A t-shirt? to a wedding?" Then I had to hear all about how she hated to dress up and she wasn't wearing any old lady clothes. I said, "Fine, we can probably find a t-shirt at K-Mart." No luck. We left Danville with nothing to wear to the wedding. And this was just a Friday evening after work...

Saturday - we ended up not going to the wedding. I decided that I wasn't really in the mood to get dressed up on a rainy day to watch two people make promises of love to one another. Yes, I'm being cynical but I'm not there yet. Saturday night we went to the High School for the end of year banquet for Upward Basketball. The speaker was awesome but Edison absolutely wore me OUT! I spent the entire night chasing him until I finally sent someone to find his dad and asked him to watch him for a little bit.

Sunday - we had tickets to the 1:00 show of Disney on Ice: 100 Years of Magic. I intended all along to take Edison but the girls were fed up with his screaming fits and decided they thought they would have more fun if he didn't go. I felt guilty about it; however, once I got there and saw the other little ones who were his age starting to scream and cry halfway through - I knew we made the right decision.

It's hard to find activities to please a 15 year old, an 11 year old and an almost 2 year old. When Edison gets to an age where we can take him to enjoy certain activities, Emily will be driving and will not want to go do ANYTHING with the rest of us. I'm trying to make the most of the little time we get to spend together.

The girls are now with their dad for the week and Edison is in bed for the night (he didn't have a nap today). I think I will be turning in early myself.

1 comment:

  1. Dana,
    I am so sorry that you had a horrible weekend. I understand the age difference thing though. Dakota wants to do things at 7 that the twins at 3 can not and to make him suffer through a "baby" activity is just unthinkable. I think you made all the right choices in this situation and you are a great mom. Hang in there. I am here if you ever need an ear. By the way if you send a card or a gift to the Bride she will never remember in 5 years if you were there or not.

    ReplyDelete