Monday, May 11, 2009

Naked Mom Crying on Mother's Day

I wasn't sure what to expect this year on Mother's Day and you may be wondering what to expect from this post given the title... please keep reading.

I think last year was probably the worst Mother's Day of my life - and I hope I never have another that equals it. Let's see - last year - Wasband (who was Husband at the time), printed a picture of each of our children on a piece of regular white paper. Each of our two daughters had written something beside their picture - Emily wrote "Happy Mother's Day"; Kensley wrote "I love you more than As-U-May (her horse); and Husband wrote beside Edison's picture "Can't wait for you to be my mommy!" Edison was still in Guatemala at the time. Granted, we did go to Lowe's the day before Mother's Day and bought some flowers - but nobody mentioned anything about those being my Mother's Day gift! The picture page would have been sweet and cute had I received it on Sunday morning, but I received it Sunday night - after I made it clear I was NOT happy! Two weeks later, I received a Wii Fit balance board and game for our Wii system. I guess that should have been a CLUE but last May, I thought things were looking up for the two of us, and remained CLUELESS!

Fast forward - one year later. I was dreading Mother's Day this year - knowing it couldn't possibly be worse than last year except for the fact that I was now, officially, a "Single Mom". Don't get me wrong - I love my children more than anything and I know that Mother's Day should be a day that I celebrate being their Mother. This year should have been extra special since Edison was going to be with me to celebrate his first Mother's Day. Unfortunately, it was somewhat clouded by the fact that this was my first "Single Mom Mother's Day". Unless you have been in this situation - you may not understand the loss. I never wanted to be a single mom. I made the decision I was going to make the best of this Mother's Day weekend. Both of the girls seemed excited to spend time with me and we were looking forward to being together. I think they too, realized how different this year was going to be and wanted to make it special for me.

When I got out of the shower Sunday morning, I went to my bedroom to get dressed and there on my bed was an envelope. I opened it to find a gift certificate to my favorite local restaurantn and another envelope inside with a card. Wasband (or someone) had come through with a gift. Did I mention I love getting presents??? Presents are important to me - I think it is one of my love languages. The best gift of all was the handwritten card I received from my kids. It was in Emily's writing and said something like "You are the best mom we could ever ask for - we know you have been through a lot this past year and you have tried to stay strong for us and we love you." I'm crying as I re-type the message. Each had signed the card, including Edison, who had scribbled over the signature one of his sister's had signed for him.

I was still wrapped in my towel, had tears in my eyes, and went into the living room to give Emily a hug and a kiss and to tell her that I love her. Kensley was now in the shower. I walked toward Emily and she asked, "What's wrong?" I said, "Nothing, that was the sweetest card. Thank you." I bent down to hug her and she let me kiss her on the forehead and she started grinning showing her beautiful teeth and said, "This is weird." I said, "What's weird? That fact that I'm crying and kissing you and I'm naked?" She said, "Exactly!" We had a good time laughing and it was one of those moments we will both probably always remember.

After Kensley had gotten dressed, I met her in the hallway and said, "Thank you for the card and the gift certificate - it was really sweet." Emily said, "Yeah, just be glad you didn't get the thank you from Mom that I got!" I said, "Yeah, lucky for you - I'm dressed!" Kensley just looked at us and then told me that she had made something for me at school but had to leave it there on Friday because it wasn't dry. I can't wait to see what it is. Like I said, I love presents!

As for Edison, I took it upon myself to make my own gift from him. I painted both of his hands and his feet and put his prints on a piece of corkboard. He was amazed and kept looking at his hands and feet and saying, "Wow!" Now I just have to be sure he doesn't find where I keep the paint and the paint brushes or he will be trying that himself. That would not be good!

So, the naked Mom crying on Mother's Day??? That was me! Hey...I was in a towel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment